As part of our development strides and the need to achieve set strategic objectives, the Advisory Board of the Centre for Malaria Research and Phytomedicine was inaugurated by the them Vice-Chancellor, Prof J A Ajienka on the 15th May, 2012
Prof J A Ajienka, Vice-Chancellor
Emeritus Prof Nimi D Briggs was appointed as Chairman of the Board, while Prof. Omotyo O Ebong as the Pioneer Director of the Centre .The Board functions by providing insight, advice, and support relative to programs, curriculum, and development and fundraising endeavours while providing links to the various stakeholder communities. The Board held its first meeting shortly after and the inauguration ceremony.
To achieve quality research in malaria and related diseases towards better health for all
- To achieve malaria control and better health for all through basic and operational research.
- To explore the indigenous plant sources of new medicinal compounds for the treatment of malaria and other related diseases.
- To strengthen teaching and research capacity in malaria and phytomedicine in University of Port Harcourt & Environs.
- To Identify and promote research in traditional medicinal plants and plant-based products in malaria and other diseases.
- To carry out Operational research in malaria and related diseases.
- To establish partnerships with local and International institutions.
- To promote partnerships and collaborations between researchers in the University, and with the public and private sectors.
The leadership has adopted a multi-pronged approach to achieving the set goals for the centre .
Prof. Omotyo O Ebong
Founder and Pioneer Director